Make Sure Your Summer Water Craft Is Insured
You insure your home, your car, and other high-ticket items. Don’t forget to get insurance coverage on your boat or personal watercraft (PWC), commonly referred to by brand names such as Jet Ski, Wave Runners, or Seadoos. The right policy can protect you from loss due to damage from accidents, traveling, weather, and more.
What is a Personal Watercraft?
As defined in the 2022 Minnesota Boating Guide, “Personal watercraft (PWC) is also known as Jet Skis or Wave Runners. Personal watercraft is defined by law as a motorboat that is:
- “Powered by an inboard motor powering a water jet pump or by an outboard or propeller-driven motor.
- “Designed to be operated by a person or persons sitting, standing, or kneeling on the craft, rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside a motorboat.
“All personal watercraft are considered motorboats and therefore, any regulations that govern other motorboats (such as fishing boats, cabin cruisers, etc.), also govern personal watercraft.”
Is Insurance Required?
You are not required to have insurance on your boat or personal watercraft in Minnesota, but considering the investment you have made in it, insuring it is the smart thing to do. Not only do you want a policy that protects your investment in your boat, but you also want to cover yourself and anyone else who could get injured while using it. There is also liability to consider if you are ever in an accident.
But What Is the Right Personal Watercraft Policy?
There are three things you will want to consider when purchasing a policy for your boat for personal watercraft:
- Physical damage to your boat
- Property damage liability if your boat damages someone else’s property
- Bodily injury liability if someone on your boat is injured because of your negligence
What to Discuss with Your Insurance Agent
Some policies cover property like life jackets, fishing gear, anchors, etc. You will also want to consider whether you will be using your boat or PWC in international or coastal waters.
Several factors will affect the cost of your policy:
- The type and size of your boat or PWC
- Your driving record
- Your credit score
- Past insurance claims
- If you’ve taken a safety course
- Your age
- Your gender
If you have a boat or a personal watercraft, contact Hermann Insurance Services to speak with one of our independent insurance agents. We can help you find the right coverage for you!